- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked al dente according to the package instructions
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/ 4 teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 1/ 4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/ 4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons Tuttorosso Tomato Paste
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 15 ounce can Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
- 1/ 2 cup reserved pasta water, up to 3/4 cup
- 3/ 4 cup heavy cream
- 1/ 2 cup freshly grated parmesan, plus more for serving
- fresh basil leaves, for serving
- flaky sea salt, for serving
Season shrimp with 1 teaspoon Kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add shrimp and cook until they just turn pink, about 2 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon, allow to cool slightly, then chop into bite size pieces. Set aside.
To the same skillet, add diced onion and cook 4-6 minutes over medium-high heat, until softened. Add chopped garlic, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, then cook 1 minute more.
Add Tuttorosso Tomato Paste, then stir and cook until dissolved, about 1-2 minutes. Deglaze with vodka, then continue cooking about 2 minutes more. Pour in Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes with Basil. Add 3/4 cup of heavy cream and the chopped shrimp. Stir until well mixed. Add the cooked pasta, 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water, and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce is creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Serve immediately with extra grated Parmesan, a pinch of flaky sea salt, and lots of fresh basil leaves.