- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced into rings, divided
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- Black peppercorns, freshly ground, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Parsley, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and prepare an ice bath. Cook green beans until crisp tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain and transfer to the ice bath to cool, then drain.
In a large Dutch oven, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic and half of the shallots and cook until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add mushrooms and rosemary and continue to cook until softened and caramelized, 10-12 minutes.
Stir in 4 tablespoons flour and cook until well incorporated, about 2 minutes, then slowly pour in stock and coconut milk. Cook until thickened, 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and toss in blanched and drained green beans until well coated Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, then transfer to a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish. Bake until golden and bubbling, 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan to 350°F. Toss remaining shallot rings with remaining 2 tablespoons flour to coat well. Shake off excess flour and place into oil. Fry until lightly golden and crisp, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain, seasoning immediately with salt.
Once the casserole is out of the oven, garnish with crispy onions and chopped parsley, then serve immediately.