For the fried rice
- 10 ounces steamed rice, cooked according to package instructions
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 2 baby bok choy heads, cleaned and halved
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/ 2 red onion, finely chopped and divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 head bok choy, cleaned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 4 large eggs, beatened
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons cooking wine
- 2 shaved carrots, for serving
- 1/ 3 cup steamed snap peas, for serving
- 1/ 2 cup shredded red cabbage, for serving
- 2 fried eggs (optional), for serving
- Sriracha mayo, for serving
- Sriracha sesame seeds, for garnish
- black sesame seeds, for garnish
- chopped green onions, for garnish
For the mushroom sauce
- 1 1/ 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and cut into quarters
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 packet mushroom sauce
- 1/ 2 cup water
- 1/ 4 cup soy sauce
- 1/ 4 cup cooking wine
To make the fried rice
In a nonstick pan on medium heat remaining half of the sesame oil. Add remaining chopped onion and garlic with butter. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add chopped bok choy and 1/2 green onions, and cook for another 2-3 minutes, followed by the rice. Break apart any clumps. Stir in cumin and smoked paprika. Add eggs and scramble for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add mirin, rice wine vinegar, and cooking wine. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add two tablespoons of soy sauce, and cook for another 1-2 minutes before transferring to serving bowls.
To cook the baby bok choy
Add 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil to a pan. Add half of the minced garlic and half of the chopped red onion. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Place the halved bok choy cut side down, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Flip and pour in half of the soy sauce and water. Cover with a lid and steam for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
To make the mushroom sauce
In a clean pan, heat sesame oil, add mushrooms and. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. add garlic and cumin.
Combine mushroom sauce packet with water, cooking wine and soy sauce. Stir into pan and bring to a simmer until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
Top fried rice bowls with baby bok choy, carrots, cabbage, snap peas, fried eggs, and mushroom sauce.
Garnish with sesame seeds, green onions, and sriracha mayo.