Stack up the summer goodness with Shun Cutlery! We turned the classic caprese on its head & made these fun stacks filled with juicy peaches, watermelon, fresh mozzarella, basil and heirloom tomatoes. This elegant and easy appetizer comes together in no time thanks to Shun Cutlery's 6-inch Serrated Utility Knife.
- 1 8 oz ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 ripe but firm peaches, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/ 2 mini seedless watermelon, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 2 bunches fresh basil, rinsed and dried, divided (About 2 cups packed)
- 3/ 4 olive oil
- Flaky salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Make the basil oil by bring a large pot of water to a boil and set up an ice bath basil leaves for about 10 seconds to set the color. Add half of the basil leaves to the boiling water and blanch for 10 seconds. Add to ice bath for about 30 seconds, then drain and add to a high speed blender. Add olive oil and blend until well combined. Strain oil through cheesecloth and a fine mesh strainer before using.
Once basil oil is ready, create stacks of peaches, watermelon, tomato, mozzarella and basil assembling them two layers high (so there are 2 slices each of peach, tomato, watermelon and mozzarella).
Drizzle the stacks with basil oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.