For the eggs
- 6 large medium hardboiled eggs, yolks and whites separated
- ice bath, for cooling
For the aioli
- 6 reserved egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
For the egg white patty
- 1 small egg, whisked and divided
- 6 reserved egg whites, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 brioche buns, buttered and toasted for serving
- 2 slices smoked Gouda, for topping
- 1 plum tomato, tossed together with 1 teaspoon balsamic glaze, for serving
- sweet relish, for topping
- aioli (above), for serving
To make the hardboiled eggs
Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl halfway with ice and top with cold water. Set aside.
In a large pot, place eggs on the bottom into one even layer. Fill with cold water until cover eggs by 1 inch.
Place uncovered over high heat. Bring to a roaring boil and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and cover with a pot lid. Let sit for 3 minutes.
Carefully transfer eggs to water bath. Let sit 5-10 minutes until cool enough to handle.
Peel the eggs in the water and rinse off any excess shell. Pat eggs dry. Slice in half and careful scoop out yolks, set aside whites.
To make the aioli
In a food processor, combine egg yolks with remaining aioli ingredients. Process until completely smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer aioli to a squeeze bottle. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the egg white patty
In a mixing bowl add 1/2 whisked egg, reserving other half for another use. Stir in egg whites, cornstarch, salt and pepper and mix together. Form into a 2 small patties.
In a small skillet over medium heat, add oil. Bring to a shimmer. Fry for 3-5 minutes on each side. Add gouda until melted. Remove from heat.
Place patties on to prepared buns. Top with balsamic tomatoes, relish, and aioli. Serve immediately.