Italian Lentil Soup
Prep time 10mins
Cook time 1hr
Serves or Makes: 6
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
- 12 ounces brown lentils, rinsed well
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- bread, for serving (optional)
Over medium heat, add olive oil to a large dutch oven.
Add onion, celery, and carrots. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until translucent, about 10-12 minutes.
Stir in lentils, oregano and bay leaves followed by the Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes with Basil. Fill the can with water and pour into the pan to cover the lentils.
Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer for 1 hour. [Note: Check often as lentils do absorb liquids. Add water if needed.]
Ladle soup into bowls garnished with fresh parsley. Serve with crusty bread.