For the Squash and Filling
- 6 acorn squash, tops removed, cleaned of seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/ 2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pre-cooked brown rice
- 1 cup pre-cooked French lentils
- 1/ 2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/ 4 cup pre-cooked wild rice
- 1/ 4 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons chipotle adobo sauce
- 1/ 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/ 2 lime, juiced
- 1/ 2 cup vegan cheese of choice
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
For the Chipotle Aioli
- 1/ 2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least an hour, or overnight
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon chipotle adobo sauce
- 1/ 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 1-2 sheet trays with foil, depending on the size of the squash.
Add the cleaned squash, to the baking trays and drizzle oil, salt and pepper over top. Roast until the inside is fork tender, 30-45 minutes.
While squash is roasting, in a large bowl combine beans, rice, lentils mushrooms, wild rice, 1/2 of the cilantro, bell pepper, shallot, lime juice, spices and adobo sauce. Stir thoroughly to combine flavors. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. Set aside.
For the chipotle aioli, blend cashews with fresh cold water until desired consistency is reached. Add nutritional yeast, chipotle adobo, maple syrup salt and pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste. Or, for a non vegan version, combine equal amounts of sour cream and mayo of choice, add 1 tsp of chipotle and season to taste.
Remove the squash from the oven and adjust the temperature to 350°F. While the oven is preheating, evenly fill the acorn squash with the pre-made rice mixture. Bake in the oven until the filling is warm throughout, about 20 minutes.
Top with sliced avocado and aioli/salsa and additional cheese if you like. Enjoy!