The key to a good sandwich is having lots of differnt textures; you have to have something hearty, crunchy, and creamy all in one! This vegan twist of a tuna sandwich has cabbage and cucumbers for crunch, and hearty chickepeas in creamy tahini dressing! Find more veggie sandwhich ideas here!
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drain and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/ 4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/ 4 teaspoon salt
- 1/ 4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 8 slices whole wheat bread or gluten free bread
- 4 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/ 3 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/ 2 cup purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/ 2 cup alfalfa sprouts
In a food processor (or blender), pulse chickpeas a few times to break into small pieces, (you can also use the back of a fork or potato masher). Transfer to mixing bowl.
In a small bowl combine tahini and lemon juice. Mix to combine, then add to mashed chickpeas. Add diced onion, sea salt, pepper, and pinch garlic powder. Stir to combine. Optional to add more sea salt and lemon juice for desired taste.
Build four sandwiches by adding 1 tsp dijon mustard to each slice (spread to even). Fill with chickpea tuna, cucumber, red cabbage, and alfalfa sprouts. Season with more salt and pepper.