Pamela stopped by Feedfeed Brooklyn to make her Chipotle Turkey Chili with Sweet Potatoes on Instagram live.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pounds ground dark turkey meat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/ 2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- pinch ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes and their juice
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans, or 2 15-ounce cans, drained and rinsed (or use 1 can kidney beans and 1 can pinto)
- 2 small sweet potatoes, about 1 pound, peeled if desired and shredded (about 4 cups) or riced in a food processor
- 2 1/ 2 cups water
- Topping suggestions: diced avocado, fresh cilantro, Greek yogurt or sour cream, tortilla chips
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add turkey meat and brown, breaking up with a wooden spoon. When just cooked through remove from pan using a slotted spoon and set aside. If pot looks dry, add more oil.
Add onion, jalapeno, and garlic and sauté until onion is tender and translucent, about 6 minutes.
Add spices, salt, and pepper and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and their liquid and cook for another minute or two.
Add the turkey meat back to the pot, along with the beans, sweet potato, and water. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cover. Cook until sweet potatoes are tender and everything is nice and thick, about 1 hour.
Taste for salt and pepper. Serve with desired toppings such as tortilla chips, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, and sour cream.