This recipe is featured in our Weekly Meal Planner here!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/ 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/ 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon spice mix, optional
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups boiled or, dried ones that are soaked and cooked or canned ones, rinsed and drained chickpeas
- 1/ 4 cup cup water
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, dill, parsley
- 2 tablespoons Sheep’s feta cheese
- Fresh crusty bread, to serve
In a deep skillet, heat the olive oil, add onions and sugar and cook about 6 minutes until translucent (do not brown) Add crushed garlic, chopped chilies, and cumin seeds ~ fry 2 minutes.
Add the Winter Spice mix (if using) and the rest of the ground spices and cook 3 minutes, stirring to incorporate everything.
Add the crushed tomatoes, chickpeas and 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook for about 10-15 min.
Smooth mixture into the base of the skillet and gently crack 4-6 eggs on top. Spoon some of the tomato sauce over and around the eggs. Immediately cover and cook approx. 4-5 min or until eggs are cooked through to your desired preference (runny or semi-solid yolk).
With a large spatula, gently remove sauce and eggs onto plates and top with chopped herbs and serve with crusty bread or pita. Enjoy!