For the Dough
- 2 1/ 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lukewarm water
- 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons milk
- 6 1/ 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/ 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- pinch salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 orange, zested
- 3 1/ 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
For the Filling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 1/ 2 ounces marzipan
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Make the dough: Mix the yeast, warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar in a bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to proof.
In a pan, melt the butter with the milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Leave to cool down.
Pour the yeast mixture, eggs and orange zest into the cooled butter mixture. Mix to combine. Slowly add the flour, mixing to combine. Dust a work surface with flour and knead the dough for 10 minutes, until smooth and not sticky to the touch.
Lightly grease a bowl with butter, place the dough into it, and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 16 x 20-inch rectangle. Brush with the melted butter, then spread the marzipan over the dough. Sprinkle with lemon zest.
Cut the dough into 4 long strips. Stack them on top of each other, then cut the stack into 6 squares. Transfer the stacks of squares into the prepared pan, standing them up.Cover with a clean towel and leave to rise for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Brush the loaf with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.