For the chicken
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into 1" strips
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/ 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon paprika
For the batter
- 1 1/ 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/ 4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 large egg
- garlic powder, optional
- 2 cups oil
For the tonkatsu sauce
- 3 tablespoons Red Gold® Ketchup
- 1 1/ 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
Season chicken well with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Marinate for 30 minutes.
In a bowl, add flour, cornstarch and salt. Mix well then transfer 1/2 to a separate bowl.
Add water and egg then mix. Coat the chicken with the wet batter then flour mixture.
Heat oil until hot then fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and transfer to a cooling rack. For extra crispy chicken, double fry by cooking the chicken in oil for another minute on each side.
To make the sauce, add Red Gold Ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar and mirin to a bowl and mix. Adjust to your liking.