For the Tofu
- 2 (14 ounce) blocks extra firm tofu, cubed and pressed to drain 5-10 minutes
- 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, sliced `
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, for frying
For the Sweet Chili Sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 11/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder,
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
Make the sweet chili sauce. In a medium bowl, whisk the garlic, cornstarch, maple syrup, coconut sugar, chili powder, tamari and sesame oil until combined. Set aside.
In a large bowl, toss the tofu, cornstarch and salt until evenly coated. In a frying pan, heat sesame oil until ripples form and fry the tofu until crisp and golden, rotating as needed, remove when golden and crisp, 8-10 minutes. In the same pan, sauté peppers and onions until softened, 5 minutes. Add tofu and sauce to pan and cook until sauce is slightly thickened and aromatic, 2-3 minutes.
Serve with a bowl of rice.