- 1 1/ 2 pounds ground beef, or meatloaf mix
- 1 1/ 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/ 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can Tuttorosso Italian Inspirations Crushed Tomatoes in Puree with Sweet Basil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Tuttorosso Italian Inspirations Southern Vineyard Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/ 4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- Fresh parsley, optional, for serving
In a large Dutch oven, cook hamburger or meatloaf mix over medium-high heat, breaking up as the meat cooks, until no longer pink. Drain fat from the pot and return to stove.
Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes, until softened, Add the peppers, both tomatoes, beef broth, brown sugar and rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered for 25 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into bowls, topping with freshly chopped parsley, if desired.