This recipe is featured in our Weekly Vegan Meal Planner Email Newsletter. Sign up for it here to have 6 great dinner recipes (along with a full shopping list) delivered to your inbox every Sunday!
When we talk about eating the rainbow, this is exactly what we mean! This beautiful salad is comprised of chicories, which is a group of greens known for their slight (or sometimes not so slight) bitterness. The bright citrus salad dressing does a great job of taming that bitterness with it's sweet and refreshing taste.
- 1/ 2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried thoroughly
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 head radicchio, thinly sliced
- 2 heads endive, thinly sliced
- 1 head chicory, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, chopped, fronds reserved for garnish
- 2 small cloves garlic, microplaned
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/ 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 blood orange, zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 orange, zested
- freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- herbs, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tinfoil.
On the baking sheet mix together chickpeas, cumin, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 1 teaspoon sea salt. Make sure chickpeas are very dry so they get nice and crisp in the oven. Bake for 15-17 minutes. They’ll get crispier as they sit.
While the chickpeas are baking, arrange radicchio, endive, and fennel on platter.
For dressing, whisk all remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.
To assemble salad, top leaves with crispy chickpeas, dressing, and your choice of herbs as garnish. Enjoy!