When we talk about eating the rainbow, this is exactly what we mean! This beautiful salad is comprised of chicories, which is a group of greens known for their slight (or sometimes not so slight) bitterness. The bright citrus salad dressing does a great job of taming that bitterness with it's sweet and refreshing taste.
- 1/ 2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried thoroughly
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 head radicchio, thinly sliced
- 2 heads endive, thinly sliced
- 1 head chicory, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, chopped, fronds reserved for garnish
- 2 small cloves garlic, microplaned
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/ 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 blood orange, zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 orange, zested
- freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- herbs, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tinfoil.
On the baking sheet mix together chickpeas, cumin, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 1 teaspoon sea salt. Make sure chickpeas are very dry so they get nice and crisp in the oven. Bake for 15-17 minutes. They’ll get crispier as they sit.
While the chickpeas are baking, arrange radicchio, endive, and fennel on platter.
For dressing, whisk all remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.
To assemble salad, top leaves with crispy chickpeas, dressing, and your choice of herbs as garnish. Enjoy!