For the Pesto Butter:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/ 2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/ 2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/ 4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups (4 sticks) vegan butter, room temperature
For the Tofu:
- 2 blocks extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/ 2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon kelp powder
- 2 1/ 4 teaspoons beet powder
- 3/ 4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 sheet nori, torn
- 1 bunch green asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 4 cups baby arugula
- extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- lemon juice, to taste
- flaky salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- lemon wedges, for serving
For the pesto butter, add all ingredients (aside from butter) to a food processor and process until smooth. Mix with softened butter and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the tofu: Trim each piece of tofu into a salmon-filet like shape. Score diagonally (be sure to not cut all the way through! Only about half way down the block). For the marinade, mix together all ingredients in a shallow dish. Place tofu in marinade, score-side down, and cover. Allow to marinate for up to 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 425F. To assemble, take a piece of If You Care parchment paper about 18” long and fold in half. Cut into an angular heart shape and re-open. On one side, place half the asparagus, top with a piece of tofu, season with salt and pepper, and then 3-4 tablespoons of pesto butter. Fold the other side on top and start folding from one corner, all the way around in a half circle making sure to tuck in the edges. Repeat with second piece of tofu.
Place your parchment paper pouches onto a baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, let rest 5 minutes.
Toss arugula with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Serve “salmon” pouches with arugula and lemon wedges alongside.