- 1/ 2 cup Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 2 1/ 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick unsalted butter, very cold and cubed
- 1/ 2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/ 2 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons basil, fresh, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 425ºF. Strain tomatoes in a fine-mesh strainer to get rid of extra liquid.
Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. Add the butter and combine with dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or your hands, until mixture is crumbly. Add feta, strained tomatoes, buttermilk and basil. Mix until the dough just comes together, being careful not to overwork the dough.
Place dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Shape into a 1-inch thick rectangle. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut into triangular slices. Separate them so that they have room to grow in the oven.
Brush each scone with egg. Bake for 18-25 minutes, until golden brown and crisp on the outside. Serve warm or cold.