- 1 1/ 4 cup short grain rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 1/ 3 cup hot vegetable stock, or more as needed
- 1 cup asparagus
- 1 can pulped tomatoes
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/ 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large bunch fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
Cut the tips off the asparagus and set them aside. Chop the remaining stalks in thin rounds and set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan and add the minced garlic and rice. Toast over medium heat, then add salt, pepper, tomato and sliced asparagus stalks.
Start adding the stock one ladle at a time while stirring frequently. Whenever the liquid gets absorbed, add one more ladle until the rice is 90% cooked.
Add this point, add the spices, tarragon, butter and one last ladle of stock. Cover with a lid and leave to complete cooking in its own steam for another 2-3 minutes.
In the meantime, heat the remaining oil and add the reserved asparagus tips. Sear on a high flame for 20-30 seconds and add on top of the risotto.