Dinner bowl, easy and strong in nutrients
This recipe was featured in our Vegan Weekly Meal Plan Newsletter - Looking for dinner ideas? Sign up here!
- For couscous salad:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 large potato, cut into small cubes
- 2 tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 small red chili pepper, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juice + zest
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons spices of your choice (I used cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, turmeric, za’atar, ras el hanout, salt, pepper)
- For the kale-quinoa salad:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Juice of one lime
- 2 cups fresh kale, finely chopped
- salt, pepper
- For the spicy roasted chickpeas:
- 1 (15-oz.) chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt & pepper
- For the tamarind sauce:
- 1/4 cup date paste
- 1/4 cup tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt, pepper
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges to serve
- Handful of chopped cilantro, to serve
Rinse, drain, then dry chickpeas. Remove skins for an extra crunchy finish. Mix together chickpeas with 1 teaspoon of oil and the spices. Arrange chickpeas on one side of a baking tray in a single layer.
Dice potatoes and place them on the baking tray with the chickpeas. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake chickpeas and potato for 20-25 minutes at 400°F.
Meanwhile add couscous, minced chili and garlic, and spices of your choice to a bowl. Pour boiling water or vegetable broth over the couscous and soak for about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice and zest, tomato paste and diced tomatoes and mix well. Once potatoes are done add them to the couscous too.
For the quinoa salad mix together cooked quinoa, finely chopped kale and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
For the tamarind sauce combine date paste, tamarind paste, maple syrup, vinegar, cayenne, salt and pepper. Add a few tablespoons of water if the sauce is too thick.
Assemble the bowls. Add each couscous salad, quinoa salad, roasted chickpeas and tomato wedges to a bowl, then top with the tamarind sauce. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!