For the Cake
- 3 1/ 4 cups cake flour, or all-purpose flour
- 1 1/ 2 cups lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/ 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/ 2 cup raisins
- 1/ 2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/ 2 cups apple butter
- 3 large eggs
- 2/ 3 cup whole milk
- 1/ 4 cup dark spiced rum
To Make the Cake
Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease three 8-inch cake pans with non-stick spray.
In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix on medium speed for two minutes. Divide the batter between the pans.
Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pans, set on wire racks, covered loosely with a clean kitchen towel.
For the Buttercream
- 1 1/ 2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder, optional
- 1/ 4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/ 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/ 8 teaspoon cloves
- 2 tablespoons milk, or cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To Make the Buttercream
In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, mix the butter and powdered sugar and meringue powder to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and whip for 4-5 minutes on medium high speed until very light and fluffy.
Fill and frost the cooled cake.