For the Potato Patties
- 2 russet potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 Thai green chillies, minced
- 1/ 2 cup cilantro, chopped, plus more for topping
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Coconut chutney, recipe below
For the Coconut Chutney
- 1/ 2 cup fresh frozen grated coconut
- 1/ 4 cup plain coconut or almond yogurt
- 1/ 4 cup cilantro, stems and leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 Thai green chili, or serrano chile
- 1/ 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled
- Kosher Salt
For the Tadka
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 4 curry leaves
For the Potato Patties and Tadka
To a bowl add, potatoes, Thai green chillies, cilantro, cumin, kosher salt and black pepper. Using a spoon or your hands mix until well incorporated.
Using about 1/3 cup shape the potato mix into 1/2 inch round disks and set aside.
Heat oil in a flat griddle on medium heat until shimmering, place potato patties and cook for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer to platter. Serve immediately with coconut chutney.
For the Coconut Chutney and Tadka
To blender add, grated coconut, yogurt, cilantro, peanuts, Thai green chili, ginger, kosher salt and 2 tablespoons water. Blend into a smooth paste.
Heat oil in a small pan until shimmering. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and sauté until spluttering. Pour this over the coconut chutney.