Who knew that chickpeas made such a delightful replacement for tuna in a tuna salad sandwich?! You won't even come close to missing the tuna in this delicious vegan rendition of one of my lunchtime favorites. I personally don't like celery or raw red onion, but feel free to throw those in there if you so desire. Instead, I opted for shallots, garlic, green onion, fresh tomatoes, cornichon pickles, and dill. Slather this mixture on some lovely pieces of toast and you've got your new favorite lunch!
- 1 16 ounce can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/ 4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/ 4 cup cornichons or pickles, finely chopped
- 1/ 4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 pieces toast
In a large bowl, add chickpeas and mash them down using a fork or potato masher. Then add in mayonnaise, mustard, shallot, green onion, garlic, tomatoes, pickles, fresh dill, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
Divide the mixture among two pieces of toast. Enjoy!