- 1 block extra firm tofu, and cut into 12 pieces
- 1/ 2 cup dairy-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/ 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/ 2 tablespoons, divided onion powder
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Season tofu pieces with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a shallow dish or storage container, combine the sour cream, chives, lemon juice, and onion powder. Add the tofu pieces and toss to coat completely. Cover refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight (for best results).
In a non-stick pan over medium heat, toast the panko crumbs in batches until golden. Transfer the toasted bread crumbs to a shallow bowl and add the remaining 2 teaspoons onion powder. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a wire rack on top.
Dredge the marinated tofu pieces in the panko, using a spoon to press panko crumbs into the tofu and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 20-30 minutes until the coating is crisp and tofu nuggets are firm. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and enjoy.