This recipe is featured in our Weekly Meal Planner Email Newsletter. Sign up for it here to have 6 great dinner recipes (along with a full shopping list) delivered to your inbox every Sunday!
This isn’t your mom’s Chicken Fricassee! We’ve updated this one skillet classic by replacing the butter with LouAna Liquid Coconut Oil. It’s the perfect oil for sauteing, since the smoke point goes up to 350˚F. Although this LouAna oil imparts no coconut oil aroma or taste, we decided to keep things dairy free by using coconut milk instead of the usual heavy cream. We added some creamy artichoke hearts and bright peas to brighten and lighten the whole thing up, making sure this hearty dish is ready just in time for spring!
- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons LouAna Liquid Coconut Oil
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced with stems (from about 12 ounces whole mushrooms)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/ 2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/ 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Rice, of choice, steamed, for serving
Season the chicken thighs on each side generously with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the LouAna Liquid Coconut Oil over medium heat until rippling. Working in batches, add half the chicken thighs to the skillet and cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side. Set chicken on a plate and tent with foil. Repeat with remaining chicken.
To the same skillet, add leeks, celery, carrots and mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released their liquid. Add flour and cook for about 1 minute. Add wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown bits that have formed. Cook for about 1 minute. Add chicken stock, artichoke hearts, and coconut milk, and then bring to a simmer.
Add chicken thighs to the pan and cook over medium-low heat or until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Add peas, cover and cook for about 3 minutes, or until bright green and tender.
Remove from heat and garnish with fresh herbs. Serve over rice, if desired.