- 8 ounces medium shell pasta
- 1/ 4 cup vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/ 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, or 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/ 2 cups broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/ 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/ 2 cups mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 1/ 3 cup vegan cheese, grated, optional
Cook pasta for about 5 minutes, or half the time on the package directions, and drain.
Heat a pot on medium heat. Once hot, add the butter and flour and whisk until a thick paste has been formed.
Increase the heat to medium-high and add cooked pasta, milk, tomato sauce, garlic, broccoli, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring the entire time. You do not want it to turn into a rolling boil, this sauce can easily burn.
Lower the heat to medium-low and add the mushrooms. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
Take pasta off the heat. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan, divide in bowls and eat.