- 1/2 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ribs celery, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
Cook the onion, garlic, and celery in 1 tbsp olive oil or a splash of water in a pot on the stove over medium heat.
When the onions turn translucent, add bell pepper, jalapeño, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt. Stir occasionally to prevent burning, and cook a few minutes until the mushrooms have softened and released some of their liquid.
Add walnuts and spices and toast for about 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Then add in crushed tomatoes, water or vegetable broth, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer on low heat for 30-60 minutes. Check and stir occasionally to make sure the bottom isn't burning. Add more water/broth if the chili looks too thick for you.
During the last 10 minutes, stir in the beans.
Serve warm with bread or rice, and garnish with your favorite add-ins if desired.