Vegan and Gluten Free Pumpkin Pudding
For the Pudding
- 200 grams Japanese pumpkin, cooked butternut squash or unsweetened pumpkin purée
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) choice of plant milk
- 40 grams cashews, soaked in water for 2-4 hours or soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, rinsed
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup, liquid sweetener
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon agar agar powder, can be reduced down to 1/3 teaspoon (1gram) if you like a softer texture. Adjust the amount according to your preference
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Coconut whipped cream, plant based whipped cream
To make the caramel, place 3 tablespoons. coconut sugar and 1 tablespoon. water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat. Stir frequently until the sugar is dissolved. Once you find small bubbles on the edge, keep it bubbling for 90 seconds. Keep your eyes on it as to not let it burn.
Immediately remove from the heat and coat the bottom of each jar with about 1.5-2 tsp of the caramel. Chill them in the freezer while preparing the pudding mixture.
In a high speed blender, place all the ingredients except agar powder and blend well until smooth. Add more sweetener if you wish.
Pour it in a sauce pan and add agar powder and mix well. Gently bring to a boil and simmer while stirring constantly over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes or until thickened.
Strain the mixture and pour into the prepared jars over the caramel. Chill in the fridge. Serve with your choice of plant based whipped cream.