For the Broth
- 1 leek, cut into large chunks
- 1/ 2 pineapple, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 daikon radish, cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 ear corn, cut into large chunks
- 3 lemongrass, smashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Bún bò Huế Seasoning
- 1/ 4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons annatto seeds
- 1/ 4 cup finely chopped lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons mushroom seasoning
- Salt, To Taste
- 1 package rice vermicelli, cooked according to package directions
- 1 (14 ounce) block tofu, pan-fried
- Shimenji mushrooms, cooked in soup before serving
- King osyter mushrooms, cooked in soup before serving
- Vietnamese coriander, for garnish
- Cabbage, shredded, for garnish
- Lime, for garnish
- Banana flowers, sliced, for garnish
- Mung bean sprouts, for garnish
- Scallions, chopped for garnish
- Jalapeno, sliced, for garnish
- Mint, for garnish
To make the broth: Bring a large pot of 14 cups water to a boil. Add all broth ingredients and let simmer for 2 hours or until all vegetables are soft. Strain through a fine sieve into another pot.
To make the seasoning: Heat oil in a small pot until bubbles form when you put a wooden chopstick into it. Add annatto seeds and quickly stir. Turn off heat and strain into another bowl. Pour the oil back into the pot, turn on heat, and add lemongrass. Cook until fragrant, then add red pepper flakes, sugar, and mushroom seasoning.
Add seasoning mixture into the broth. Bring to a boil. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and more mushroom seasoning.
Place rice vermicelli in a bowl, ladle soup over, add toppings and garnishes.