This recipe is featured in our Weekly Meal Planner Email Newsletter. Sign up for the meal plan here to have 6 great dinner recipes and a fun weekend bonus (along with a full shopping list) delivered to your inbox every Sunday!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/ 2 cup water
- Salt, to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 1/ 3 cup Mexican cheese blend, or cheese of choice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, for garnish
Preheat the oven at 450ºF.
Heat oil in an ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and serrano peppers. Sauté until onions are transparent. Add the chili powder, ground cumin and garlic powder. Mix well. Deglaze the pan with a tablespoon of water if needed.
Add the beans. Mix well. Stir in tomatoes. Use a potato masher to mash the beans and tomatoes. Add water and mix. Salt to taste.
Simmer on a low flame for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Once the sauce thickens, use the back of a spoon to make wells. Crack the eggs into each well. Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 3-4 minutes, until whites are set and yolk is runny.
Raise the oven to broil. Sprinkle cheese around the eggs. Bake for a minute or until the cheese melts. Remove from the oven. Garnish with cilantro.