Stacie and Jessica from The Real Food RDS joined us in the Vitamix Test Kitchen at the Everything Food Conference.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced; plus more for garnish
- 1 pound pasta, prepared according to package directions
Place cashews in a medium-sized bowl and cover with boiling water. Place a lid or plate over the bowl to act as cover and allow cashews to soak for 30 minutes.
Drain cashews and place in the canister of the Vitamix.
Add nutritional yeast, 1 garlic clove, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. salt and almond milk.
Blend on high for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust salt as needed, adding additional clove of garlic and blending again if you'd like a more garlicky sauce. Sauce should be warm from blending. If not, replace the lid and blend another minute until warm. Serve with pasta immediately.