This pasta dish is loaded with Italian flavor. TheLifeJolie uses spicy italian sausage and Tuttorosso San Marzano Style Chopped Tomatoes for that rich tomato taste. Try this for an easy weeknight dinner the whole family will enjoy!
For more recipes using Tuttorosso Tomatoes, click here!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/ 2 cup onion, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package spicy Italian sausage links, casings removed (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1/ 2 cup good red wine (if you don't cook with alcohol you can substitute chicken broth)
- 1 bunch rapini ( or broccoli rabe), cleaned, trimmed of thicker stems and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 28-ounce can Tuttorosso Chopped San Marzano Tomatoes with Sea Salt, undrained
- 3 cups rigatoni pasta
- Kosher salt (optional)
- Romano cheese, to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
Add onions and garlic and sauté, stirring often until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add sausage to the pan and use a wooden spoon to break it into bite-size pieces. Stir often until brown, around 6-7 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup red wine and deglaze the pan. Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add can of Tuttorosso San Marzano Style Chopped Tomatoes in Puree with Sea Salt and stir in rapini.
Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring periodically.
While the sauce simmers, boil the pasta to al dente as per the package directions and drain when finished.
Add the drained pasta into the pan with the sauce and stir well to combine. Taste the sauce for flavor and if necessary add a little salt. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of Romano cheese.