- 1 small (approx. 430g) delicata squash, halved and deseeded
- 2 1/ 2 cups (300g) King Arthur Baking Company Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour
- 1 tablespoon (12g) baking powder
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons (9g) baking soda
- 1/ 4 teaspoon (3g) fine sea salt
- 8 tablepoons (113g) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3/ 4 cup (85g) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons (15g) chopped fresh sage leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/ 2 cup (113g) cold buttermilk, plus more as neded
- Freshly ground black pepper, for topping
- 1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 425F. Place squash cut-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 25-30 minutes until tender. Let cool completely. Scoop out flesh, discard skin. Mash squash, measure out ½ cup. Set aside.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Working quickly, use a fork, a pastry blender or your fingers to work butter into flour into pea-size crumbs. Add shredded cheese and sage.
Whisk squash and buttermilk together and add to bowl. Use a fork or wooden spoon to combine, being careful not to overmix. The dough will be crumbly. Add more buttermilk 1 tablespoon at a time if necessary. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and gently knead until a shaggy dough forms.
Pat or roll dough into a rough 1 ½-inch thick rectangle. Use a 3-inch cookie or biscuit cutter to cut biscuits. Place on prepared baking sheet. Re-roll and repeat with any biscuit scraps. You should be able to cut about 5 biscuits. Freeze the biscuits for about 30 minutes.
When ready to bake, heat oven to 425F. Brush biscuits with egg wash and press a sage leaf in the center. Sprinkle with black pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.