- 1 (16 oz) box ziti, cooked until just tender and drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 (28 oz) can Tuttorosso® Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans Tuttorosso® Diced Tomatoes Basil, Garlic & Oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, use less if you do not like spicy
- 1 (15 oz) carton ricotta cheese
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh minced parsley, for garnish
Preheat oven to 375º degrees F.
Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes.
Add sausage and ground beef, cook until browned. Drain off excess fat.
Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, basil, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, stir to combine. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 25 to 30 minutes. After the cook time remove 3-4 cups of the sauce to a bowl to cool.
In a separate bowl combine ricotta cheese, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, salt and black pepper. Stir together but do not mix completely. Add the pasta and toss slightly to combine and coat the pasta. Add cooled meat sauce and toss to combine.
Add half of the coated pasta to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spoon half of the remaining sauce over the pasta. Top with half of the remaining mozzarella cheese. Repeat with another layer of coated pasta, sauce and cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle parsley over the top before serving.