This recipe is featured in our Weekly Meal Planner Email Newsletter. Sign up for the meal plan here to have 6 great dinner recipes and a fun weekend bonus (along with a full shopping list) delivered to your inbox every Sunday!
For the Pulled Pork
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- canola oil, as needed, for searing
- 1 (2-pound) pork tenderloin
- 1 (12-ounce) can beer, an IPA or similar style
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/ 2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/ 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the Pizza and Toppings
- 1 (15-ounce) pre-made pizza dough ball
- 1/ 3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/ 2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup pulled pork
- 1/ 2 package All Natural Farmer John Bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 1/ 2 cup pineapple, diced
- 1/ 2 cup peppadew peppers
- caramelized onions, reserved from the pulled pork
- cilantro leaves, for garnish
- chives, chopped, for garnish
For the Pulled Pork
Remove the pork from the refrigerator and allow to rest while you prepare the ingredients.
In a small bowl, mix all dried spices together and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven and add onion. Cook over low heat until onion begins to brown and caramelize slightly, 5-10 minutes. Remove onions from pan and set aside.
Rub the spice mixture over pork and add enough canola oil to just cover the bottom of the Dutch oven. Turn the heat to medium high heat and sear the outside of the pork, turning often to brown all sides.
Preheat the oven to 275˚F. Once the pork is seared on all sides, add the beer, apple cider and BBQ sauce.
Cover and braise in the oven for about 2-3 hours, turning pork halfway through. When pork is done, remove meat and shred with forks. Reserve 1 cup of pork for the pizza, and save the rest for tacos, enchiladas, etc. Strain the braising liquid and store the liquid with the leftover pork to keep it moist.
For the Pizza Assembly
Preheat the oven to 500˚F and stretch dough into a large circle. Place on a baking sheet, baking steel, or pizza stone.
Add the barbecue sauce and spread evenly over crust. Add cheese, remaining toppings, then place in the oven to bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until crust is crisp and golden brown and cheese is bubbly.