- 2 slices cubed white sandwich bread
- 1 1/ 4 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 4 thinly sliced green onions
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
- 1 lime, zested ( 1 tablespoon) and juiced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/ 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 cups chicken stock, or chicken broth
Pulse bread in a food processor until it's the consistency of find crumbs. Add to a large bowl with ground turkey, egg, 1/2 of the scallions and parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix with your hands, until all of the ingredients are well combined. Divide meatball mixture into 20 golf ball sized portions, or use an ice cream scoop. Roll into meatballs, place on a tray, and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (if you refrigerate the meatballs for several hours, cover the meatballs).
Melt the butter in a shallow Dutch oven or brasier. Before the butter has browned, add the meatballs and cook for 5-7 minutes, until browned. Let meatballs rest on a paper towels.
Add rice to the same pot, and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add rest of green onions, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt, cooking for a minute or until fragrant. Stir in broth, lime juice, rest of lime zest and bring to a boil.
Add meatballs to pot, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, until rice is tender and meatballs are cooked through. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes, covered. Top with green onions and parsley.