For the Pate Brisee
- 21/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 stalk rhubarb, sliced lengthwise into strips with sharp vegetable peeler or mandolin, reserved for top
For the Filling
- 2 cups strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons ground tapioca pearls
- a pinch of ground black pepper
- a pinch of salt
To Make the Pate Brisee
In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal- it should look like sand.
Combine water and vodka. With the machine running, add liquid in a slow, steady stream through the feed tube. Run until the dough comes together but don't overwork the dough.
Divide dough into two. Flatten and wrap each in plastic. Chill at least an hour.
To Make the Filling and Assemble
Meanwhile, macerate strawberries by combining with 1 tablespoon sugar. Leave for 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
Sauté rhubarb with a little water until it softens, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer it to a bowl to cool. Cover with lemon juice. Combine all dry ingredients and set aside.
Using a slotted spoon, add strawberries into bowl with rhubarb. Add dry ingredients and stir.
Preheat oven to 400˚F. Roll out one disc of dough and place into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Add a pinch of flour to the bottom and then add filling. Chill while making top.
Roll out the other disc and cut strips. Make a lattice (see below) and incorporating a few strips of thin rhubarb instead of dough. Decorate edges as you like. Bake for about 45-60 min, until filling is bubbly.