- 2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/ 4 cup coconut milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/ 4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/ 2 pounds ground turkey, cold
- fleur de sel, for garnish
- 2 hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1/ 3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/ 3 cup minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/ 4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1/ 3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/ 3 cup honey
- 1/ 3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 scallions, chopped
- sesame seeds, for garnish
For the rice, combine rice, coconut milk, sugar, 2 cups water, 1 tsp salt and turmeric in a sauce pan and bring to boil. Cover, reduce to low and simmer for 35-40 mins or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside, covered, and let sit for 15 minutes. Before serving, add ¼ cup coconut milk, combine with a fork and finish with fleur de sel.
For sauce: In a small bowl, add hoisin, soy, sriracha, sesame oil and 1/4 tsp pepper and whisk to combine. Set aside.
For meatballs combine onion, garlic, ginger, five spice, coriander, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and egg in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add breadcrumbs, turkey and sausage and use hands to thoroughly combine.
In a medium pot, add broth and water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Using a standard 2 oz ice cream scoop, scoop meat mixture and use hands to form into a ball. Drop into broth and cook approximately 8-10 minutes—meatballs should float to top. Work in batches, and transfer meatballs to a plate when done. At this point you can refrigerate them for up to 2 days or freeze up to a month.
In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, heat grapeseed oil and add meatballs. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, constantly moving pan so meatballs get brown on all sides. Lower heat to medium low and add ¾ of the sauce and 1/4 cup of water to pan and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes until meatballs are thoroughly coated.
To serve, mound rice on a platter and arrange meatballs on top. Pour any additional pan sauce over, then garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve with extra sauce.