For the Chicken
- 1 1/ 2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless skinless, cut into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces
- 1/ 2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/ 2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons hot chili garlic paste, (sambal oelek)
- 1/ 4 cup fish sauce, (nam pla or nuoc nam)
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons peeled and grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 limes, quartered, for garnish
For the Sauce
- 1 avocado, peeled and deseeded
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, or sour cream
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves and tender stems (about 3/4 cup packed)
- 1 lime, 2 tablespoons juice and 1 teaspoon zest
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
To make the Chicken Skewers: In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, vinegar, chili paste, fish sauce, sriracha, ketchup, garlic and ginger until fully combined. In a separate larger bowl, add the chicken and toss well with ¼ cup of the sauce. Let the chicken marinate for 15 minutes or up to a day. When you’re ready, thread 4 or 5 chicken pieces onto each skewer (I like to use 2 skewers so the chicken is easier to turn on the grill).
Transfer the rest of the marinade to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until reduced by half, 7–10 minutes. Set aside. Grill the chicken, turning and basting often with reduced marinade, until cooked through, 8–10 minutes.
To make the Avocado Cilantro Sauce: Add all the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and blitz until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Serve with lime wedges and the creamy avocado-cilantro sauce on the side.