- 3 cups unsweetened oat milk, or other non-dairy alternative
- 1/ 2 teaspoon turmeric, optional
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces dried elbow macaroni
- 1/ 2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy cream, mixed with 1-2 tablespoons tapioca starch (depending how thick you want your sauce)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
In a pot, add plant milk, turmeric, salt, miso paste, onion powder, and garlic powder. Then, stir or whisk until everything dissolves, and bring to a boil.
Add dried macaroni and stir, making sure the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Simmer on low heat and continue to stir throughout the rest of cooking time, about 10-12 minutes.
Once most of the liquid has evaporated (after 8 minutes have passed) have a taste to make sure the pasta is cooked.
Add the rest of the ingredients: nutritional yeast, non dairy cream mixed with tapioca starch, and lemon juice. Then, mix well. Continue to cook for a few minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken and the pasta to absorb flavours.
Serve hot, preferably with a dash of cayenne pepper or paprika. Garnish with parsley to add more colour to the dish. At this point, if your vegan mac and cheese has dried up a bit, add more non dairy cream to make it look more creamy.