For the Meatballs
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3/ 4 cup canned white beans, well drained
- 1/ 2 cup gluten free oats
- 1/ 4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 cup white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/ 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon vegan Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons za'atar
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/ 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/ 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/ 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon tamari
For the Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/ 4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/ 4 cup red wine
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a sheet pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In a blender or food processor, coarsely blend the white beans, oats, breadcrumbs, mushrooms, and spinach together. Transfer the mixture to a medium mixing bowl and add the quinoa, nutritional yeast, vegan parmesan, chives, tamari, za'atar, turmeric, salt, paprika, cumin and thyme.
Be careful not to overmix it. Roll the mixture into meatballs roughly the size of a heaping tablespoon and place them evenly spaced on the sheet pan. Bake for 15 minutes then turn them over and bake for 10 more minutes.
While the meatballs are baking, prepare the sauce. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until lightly brown, 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar, red pepper flakes, basil and red wine if using. Stir all the ingredients together, then reduce the sauce to a low simmer and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
To serve, ladle the tomato sauce into a 4 bowls and place the quinoa meatballs on top. Sprinkle more vegan parmesan cheese and chives on top for garnish.