This recipe is featured in our weekly Meal Planner. Sign up here to have 7 great recipes delivered to your inbox
This hearty soup has everything you could possibly need! Laden with veggies like kale, fennel and carrots, it's finished with pasta and beans to make it a bit more filling. You can't get any more classic than a warm bowl of minestrone.
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small bulb fennel, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 bunch curly kale, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can beans, of choice
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- 1 cup uncooked pasta or GF pasta
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, to taste
- Flat leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish
Heat some olive oil in a large pot. Sweat the brown onion, fennel bulb, carrots, celery and oregano until the onion appears to be translucent. Add garlic half way through the process. Add zucchini and sauté until slightly softened, followed by wilting the kale. Add tomato paste, chicken stock, canned diced tomatoes and beans and stir to mix as well as bring it to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Then add uncooked pasta and allow the soup to simmer, lid on, for 10 to 15 minutes depending on the size and type of pasta you’re using until al-dente.
Stir in salt to taste. Garnish with chopped parsley and cheese and serve immediately with some crusty bread.