"A favorite seasonal treasure- Squash Blossoms🌼😃. This classic Italian preparation, Fiori di Zucca Ripieni, is divine - the delicate blossoms get stuffed with seasoned ricotta (vegan option, too!) and they’re pan fried in a light rice flour batter for the perfect crisp. You may find these at farmers markets."
Stuffed Squash Blossoms
Recipe Intro From feedtheswimmers
Want more farmer's market finds? Check out Jill's article for recipe inspiration!
Prep time 10mins
Cook time 10mins
- 1 cup water, mixed with a pinch of baking soda, or use seltzer
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 scant cup ricotta cheese, or almond ricotta for vegan
- 1 egg, beaten (or small flax egg, or omit)
- 1-2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped (or use minced mushrooms sautéed with vegan fish sauce)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 squash blossoms
- 1/ 2 cup olive oil
Preheat heavy-bottomed pan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Whisk rice flour and water/seltzer to create a smooth batter and set aside. Whisk ricotta, egg, nutmeg and anchovy. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to pan until glistening.
Fill each squash blossom with about 1 tablespoon of ricotta mixture. Gently close blossom and dip in batter, allowing excess to drip off. Carefully place each prepared blossoms in hot oil. Cook 2-3 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon or spatula. Serve immediately!