Want more farmer's market finds? Check out Jill's article for recipe inspiration!
- 1 cup water, mixed with a pinch of baking soda, or use seltzer
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 scant cup ricotta cheese, or almond ricotta for vegan
- 1 egg, beaten (or small flax egg, or omit)
- 1-2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped (or use minced mushrooms sautéed with vegan fish sauce)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 squash blossoms
- 1/ 2 cup olive oil
Preheat heavy-bottomed pan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Whisk rice flour and water/seltzer to create a smooth batter and set aside. Whisk ricotta, egg, nutmeg and anchovy. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to pan until glistening.
Fill each squash blossom with about 1 tablespoon of ricotta mixture. Gently close blossom and dip in batter, allowing excess to drip off. Carefully place each prepared blossoms in hot oil. Cook 2-3 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon or spatula. Serve immediately!