For the Cake
- 3/ 4 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups plus 3 1/2 tablespoons self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons whole milk
- 1/ 4 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1/ 4 cup roughly chopped white chocolate buttons
For the Frosting
- 5 ounces white chocolate
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- Pistachios, finely chopped, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and line 2 8-inch round cake pans.
To make the cake, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each to incorporate. Add the flour, baking powder, and milk and mix for 1 minutes, until light and creamy. Fold in the pistachios and white chocolate until evenly distributed.
Divide the batter evenly between prepared pans. Smooth the tops and bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Let cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
To make the frosting, gently melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Set aside to cool slightly. Cream the butter and sugar together, then add the melted chocolate and vanilla extract. Mix well until light and creamy.
Spread half the icing on one cake and then place the second one on top. Spread the rest of the icing on top and sprinkle handful of pistachios over the icing.