- 1 cup 100% hydration sourdough starter
- 1 1/ 2 cups water
- 1 3/ 4 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 2/ 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/ 4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
In a medium container, mix all wet ingredients first, then slowly add all dry ingredients. Mix with a fork until the dough comes together, then allow the dough to rest for 20 minutes.
With wet hands, pick up the mass of dough and fold it over itself 8 times. Repeat that folding process twice more, at 30-minute intervals. Allow the dough to ferment until roughly doubled; timing will vary greatly depending on ambient temperature.
Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
Lightly flour the top of the dough and pour it onto a large piece of parchment paper. Flour the other side, and cut into four sections using a pastry cutter. Design your fougasse however your heart desires, using the pastry cutter or scissors. This takes practice, but the practice is worth it! Fill the crevices with any cheese you desire, and scallions too!
Bake the fougasse for about 30 minutes, until golden and bubbly.