For the Breadcrumbs
- 2 cups bread, stale, torn into chunks
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
For the Pasta
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1/ 4 cup capers
- 1/ 2 cup castelvetrano olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- pinch red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/ 4 cup oregano, basil, parsley or other fresh herbs, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces bucatini pasta
To make the breadcrumbs, add bread to a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add butter and olive oil to a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, and breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Cook for a few minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Transfer to a bowl, set aside and wipe out the skillet.
To make the pasta: Add tomatoes with juices to a large bowl and gently crush with your hands until broken down. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil, then drop in pasta and cook about 2 minutes less than package directs.
Meanwhile, make the sauce by heating olive oil in the large cast-iron skillet over medium. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, just until fragrant. Add anchovies and cook a few minutes until bubbly and slightly thickened. Add pasta and toss to combine with sauce. Add about 1/4 cup pasta water and continue to toss the pasta until sauce thickens again and coats the pasta.
Add butter and toss until sauce is glossy. Remove from heat and stir in fresh herbs. Divide into bowls and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.