- 4 pounds chicken bones (leftover from roasting a whole chicken)
- 5 quarts water (or enough to cover bones in the pot)
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 piece kombu
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, or other aromatics (optional)
- Roasted chicken, purple sweet potato noodles, melon radish, local wild-harvested oyster mushrooms, micro greens, cilantro, sesame and scallions, for serving
To make the broth, bring all ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn down heat. Allow broth to simmer for 6-12 hours (the longer the simmer, the more rich, nutrient-dense your broth will be). Strain broth through a mesh sieve. If you aren’t eating it right away, let broth cool completely. You can store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or store in the freezer to use at a later date.
Add desired additions, warm completely, and enjoy!