For the Cashew Crust:
- 1 heaping cup Medjool dates, soaked in hot water for about 2 mintues
- 2 cups Karma Nuts Sea Salt Cashews
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/ 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/ 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 1 pound vegan dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can full fat coconut milk, (cream only) refrigerated overnight
- 1 (14 ounce) can full fat coconut milk, shaken
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 oranges, zested
Before beginning, make sure that one of your cans of coconut milk has been refrigerated overnight so that the cream solidifies at the top of the can.
To make the crust, add the softened dates, Karma Nuts Sea Salt Cashews, gluten free oats, cocoa powder, melted and cooled coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the bowl of a large food processor. Blend until the mixture forms a sticky ball.
Lightly spray a 9-inch tart pan with cooking spray, and pour the date mixture into the prepared pan. Press firmly, making sure to press the mixture up the sides of the pan. Refrigerate while you make the filling.
To make the filling, chop the dark chocolate and place into a heat-proof bowl. Pour the shaken can of coconut milk into a small saucepan over medium heat. Scoop out the solidified cream from the other can of coconut milk and add it to the saucepan, too. Heat the coconut milk over medium heat - it should be hot but NOT boiling. As soon as it's hot, remove from heat and pour over the chopped dark chocolate. Stir constantly until the chocolate fully melts. Once melted, stir in the orange zest and vanilla extract.
Pour the filling into the prepared tart crust, tapping lightly on the counter to remove any air bubbles. Refrigerate the tart at least 4 hours, if not overnight. Garnish with shaved dark chocolate and orange slices, if desired. This tart can be made 1-2 days in advance!