This recipe is featured in our Weekly Vegan Meal Planner Email Newsletter. Sign up for the meal plan here to have 6 great dinner recipes and a fun weekend bonus (along with a full shopping list) delivered to your inbox every Sunday!
Cozy, quick food is all we ever want. Enter the stir fry, that simple, no fuss meal that helps us clean out the fridge every week.
- Oil, for cooking
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fermented black bean paste, (doubanjiang)
- 1 (14 ounce) block firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed well with 1 tablespoon water
- Rice, or noodles, cooked, to serve
For the Sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes, or to taste
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
In a frying pan, heat some oil and add the garlic, mushrooms, and black bean paste to the pan. Once fragrant, add the tofu and all of the sauce ingredients. "Shake" the pan back and forth to distribute the sauce ingredients, or mix well with a spoon. Cover the pan for 5 minutes, then remove the lid and add the cornstarch slurry. Let simmer until sauce is thickened.
Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with rice or noodles.