A symphony of sweet and tangy flavors, this eggplant recipe features tender, caramelized eggplants paired with juicy bell peppers for the perfect balance of texture and taste. Enjoy this with a big pot of rice for an easy and delicious vegan dinner.
- 1 eggplant, cut into finger-sized sticks
- 1/ 2 red bell pepper, cut into stripes
- 1/ 2 yellow bell pepper, cut into stripes
- 2 tablespoons frying oil
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 dried bird eye chilis
- 1 teaspoon sichuan pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstach (diluted in water)
- 1 tablespoon cold pressed sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
Lay out the eggplant sticks, salt coarsely and let drain for 30 minutes: drops of water will form on the surface of the eggplants. After 30 minutes, rinse thoroughly with clear water then dry by dabbing with paper towel.
While the eggplants are draining, take a small bowl and mix together the soy sauce, cooking wine, palm sugar, dried chillies, garlic and Sichuan pepper. Mix well, and set aside.
In another bowl, dilute the cornstarch with water until the powder is well dissolved.
Add the cornstarch to the previous mixture (step 2.) and mix well.
In a wok, sauté the aubergines in the cooking oil over high heat for 5 minutes until they are golden brown.
Add the peppers and continue sautéing for +3 mins until tender but crunchy.
Lower the heat to medium, add the sauce and mix well until the mixture thickens (2-3 mins).
Just before serving, top with sesame oil and sesame seeds.
Enjoy while it's hot, with a serving of white rice!