Potatoes are the secret to this creamy cream-less one-pot tomato soup. Serve with a grilled cheese made with gluten-free bread for total Sunday night comfort!
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/ 2 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, scrubbed clean, peeled, and chopped into small pieces
- 1/ 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/ 2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth, substitute for filtered water
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the butter, onions, carrots, potatoes and salt. Cook until the potatoes are soft, about 7 minutes.
Add the minced garlic, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, pepper, and vegetable broth and stir.
Turn the heat to medium high and bring soup to a boil. Once boiling, immediately take the soup off the heat.
Add fresh basil and nutritional yeast to the soup.
Let soup cool slightly and puree with an immersion blender or in the base of a blender until smooth. Taste soup and add additional seasoning as needed.
Divide into soup bowls, garnish, and serve.